Pensacola Beach Anchor Steward - Audubon Florida
Location: Pensacola, FL
Job Type: Seasonal, Full-Time
Apply Online Only At: https://careers-audubon.icims.com/jobs/3120/pensacola-beach-anchor-steward/job
Audubon Florida supports management of beach-nesting birds at many locations on the Gulf Coast and Northeast Atlantic Coast of Florida by surveying, posting, stewarding and protecting nesting areas from disturbance. To better monitor and protect the nesting shorebirds along beaches and other nest sites Audubon is hiring a seasonal Beach Anchor Steward to work primarily within Escambia County coastal areas. The primary responsibility of the Anchor Steward is to organize volunteers in order to help monitor nesting birds and to conduct public outreach around the shore/seabird nesting areas primarily at Pensacola Beach West and Perdido Key State Park. This is a full-time, 40 hour per week seasonal position focused on weekend days and holidays, including Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day, if nesting persists until the latter holiday. The position will begin March 31, 2017 and continue through the end of nesting season. Nesting may persist into August or early September but can end early in the event of a catastrophic event or other total loss of nesting activity.
Under the direction of Audubon’s Project Coordinator for the Coastal Bird Stewardship Program, the Pensacola Beach Anchor Steward will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Monitor nesting birds and conduct minimum weekly counts of nests, chicks, and fledged young of each nesting species and enter/report data in the Florida Shorebird Database as directed by the supervisor.
- Under direction of supervisor and partners, install symbolic fencing around new nest areas as needed.
- Conduct public outreach at nesting beaches on weekends and holidays generally between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Hours may run longer per day on holiday weekends.
- Assist with recruiting volunteers; train and schedule volunteers to chaperone nesting birds and conduct public outreach at nesting beaches on weekends and holidays.
- Work closely with supervisor, external partners, and volunteers in a positive and professional manner at all times.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience and ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing.
- Ability to recruit volunteers, train, support and schedule volunteers.
- Work well independently and with other staff and volunteers.
- A positive and diplomatic attitude is a must.
- Capable of physically active work walking on sandy beaches carrying field equipment during Florida summer field conditions. Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Must have a valid driver's license and a personal vehicle suited for transportation to complete assigned tasks.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Familiarity with Perdido Key State Park and Pensacola beaches preferred.
- Previous experience with monitoring and stewardship for one shore/seabird nesting season strongly preferred, but similar experience will be considered.
- Interest in conservation and passion for the mission of the National Audubon Society a must.